About Me

My photo
This is my 6th Summer of racing triathlon. I have now completed 3 Ironmans under my belt, Florida 2009, Coeur d'Alene 2010, and most recently Ironman Wisconsin on 9/11/11. I love my family and I love my sport and everything they have both done for me.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

26 days to go...

Alright people, almost a month since my last entry and only 26 days til the big race so lemme fill u in. Overall, I would have to say I am feeling prepared and fit. I have one big weekend out of the way, which consisted of an hour open water, 4.5 on the bike, followed by a :40 minute brick run on Saturday. And a 2 hour run on Sunday. Saturday was very hot - mid 90s and windy. I started out riding into the wind and it kinda sucked... I had 5 bottles of fluids with me, and I filled them all once, and drank them all. So I went through 10 bottles of fluids in around 4.5 hours. Plus 2 powerbars, 2 uncrustables, and 2 salt tablets. Kinda felt like hell when I got off the bike, but I'm guessing thats due to the fact that I'm not used to training when it's 90 + degrees. I cooled off for around 20 minutes after the ride, and then did my :40 at a very slow pace... The run on Sunday went very well and I felt strong. I did one gel halfway, 2 salt tablets at about :45 and 1:30, and hydrated with water and I felt good. I was very happy at being able to hold around a 10 minute mile pace. As for Saturday, I don't think it's going to be 95 in Coeur d'Alene, so I think I may have "acclimated" just fine. And I feel good and strong on the run, with the longest weekend still to go.

As always, there are little aches and pains I am working through, the most persistent of which is the calf tendon on my left leg. After trying the prolotherapy, and then a cortisone injection with some but limited success, my doctor suggested I try a course of prednisone to try and get the body to heal. It has been a week and I do feel it working. The idea behind taking prednisone is that it is systemic and will suppress the inflamation long enough that the body heals. I have a week left of taking it and then we'll see. I trust this doctor very much and he really goes the distance to make sure I'm taken care of...

Ok... So thats what's going on. This weekend on Saturday is an hour open water, 6 on the bike, followed by a :50 minute run. And on Sunday is a 2.5 hour run. Then I start my taper. I will be sure to post more frequent updates about training and as the date draws closer. As always, thanks to my readers for your support. Keep reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment