About Me

My photo
This is my 6th Summer of racing triathlon. I have now completed 3 Ironmans under my belt, Florida 2009, Coeur d'Alene 2010, and most recently Ironman Wisconsin on 9/11/11. I love my family and I love my sport and everything they have both done for me.

Monday, October 26, 2009

The doc

Ok, I promised all of my faithful readers an update after I went to the doctor - well I just got home, so here goes. First of all, I really like this doctor - I know he runs and has done triathlons, and he relates really well to his patients, judging by all the thank you autographs he has up in his exam room. So he took a look at my knee, and explained that it felt like I had a combination of patella-femoral syndrome (or runner's knee), and an inflamation of the bursa sac. and it was most likely the latter which was causing me pain. There was warmth and swelling and "bogginess," and maybe some fluid. (At this point, my brother will be explaining this in detail to my father). He clearly explained my options at this point, which were 1 -physical therapy, or 2 - a cortisone injection into the bursa sac. I chose the 2nd option. The risks and benefits of the injection were clearly spelled out to me, and I chose to do it. He explained that this 1 injection may be all it takes to take care of this issue, and it may never come back, or I may need physical therapy. But, I don't have time for physical therapy to work, and he seems smart and probably realized that, but is still obligated to explain all of my options to me. First, he numbed the knee, then he tried to draw some fluid out - getting an ever so small amount. Then he did the cortisone injection. He explained that he did the injection into the bursa sac because there was less risk doing it there then directly into the area of the tendon, where there is a "very small risk" of the tendon rupturing - he said he has never had it happen to a patient. He said if I have any problems to come back and see him on Monday before I leave on Tuesday, and that they would "get me in" - I even got the direct phone number :-). It's nice going to a doctor who seems like he cares and understands, because I know there are those that don't. I took yesterday off completely - skipping an hour easy ride. Today I'm going to go lift - I'm going to skip the squats and just do upper body stuff and abs - then no lifting next week. And because you all can't live without it, here's my training schedule for the next little while:



Tuesday 10/27 - Swim 1:00, zone 1-2 effort, speed work; Run :45, zone 1-2 effort

Wednesday 10/28 - Ride 1:00, cadence at 90+, zone 1-2 effort

Thursday 10/29 - Swim :45; Run :45, both zone 1-2

Friday 10/30 - Off day

Saturday 10/31 - Swim 1:00; Ride 2:00, Run 1:00

Sunday 11/1 - Ride 1:00 easy



Race week I'll figure out as I go. Talk to you soon all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment