About Me

My photo
This is my 6th Summer of racing triathlon. I have now completed 3 Ironmans under my belt, Florida 2009, Coeur d'Alene 2010, and most recently Ironman Wisconsin on 9/11/11. I love my family and I love my sport and everything they have both done for me.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

The night before Ironman Wisconsin

The night before an Ironman is always the longest. All the preparation, work, and training is done. Dinner is in, and we are just sitting at the hotel, winding down, about to head to bed in an attempt to sleep. This has been sort of an up and down rebuilding type summer for me. My loved ones and my training have kept me sane and grounded. I could not do this without their sacrifices and for that I thank them. They know I appreciate them and I hope I say it enough. I have my small entourage (support crew) with me for this race. Dad and Leah are here. This is also the first Ironman for Nicholas who is spending the night with Grandpa. He will have absolutely no recollection of watching his first Ironman, or most likely his second or his third for that matter, but I and everyone here will remember it and can tell him about it. It's weird sort of... I always saw all the "go daddy!" signs and now that's me. I'll have a picture of Leah and Nicholas taped to my aerobars and will wear my wedding ring around my neck this time. Of course mom will be watching like she is every race, cheering for me and at the same time scolding me for doing this to my body the way that she did...

I have been so caught up in this Ironman stuff that I almost forgot that tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of 9/11. Where was I? In my dorm room in Smith Hall and then eating breakfast at Squires. Maybe the whole thing will hit me at some point during the race tomorrow when I have all that time to think...

Anyway...Not very deep or profound words this time but I think I've said what I needed to say. Thank you all for your support and words of encouragement. My next entry will be my race report. Remember to follow along tomorrow, thanks for reading all!

No comments:

Post a Comment