About Me

My photo
This is my 6th Summer of racing triathlon. I have now completed 3 Ironmans under my belt, Florida 2009, Coeur d'Alene 2010, and most recently Ironman Wisconsin on 9/11/11. I love my family and I love my sport and everything they have both done for me.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Race week

Hello all!
It's been a significant amount of time since my last entry so here goes. First off, the knee/leg issue...I haven't really seen a whole lot of improvement along those lines. The good news is that it does get better with rest and it never really seems to get any worse. I did visit the doctor last week and had what is called prolotherapy. It is a dextrose injection into the area in an attempt to stimulate bleeding which theoretically in turn will stimulate the body to heal iteself. I haven't noticed a marked difference but it has only been about a week, so we'll see how that progresses.

Next... I am going to California on Friday to race the Napa Valley Vintage 70.3 distance race on Saturday. I feel well prepared, and well rested these last few weeks with my little mini taper. My dad is coming with me because my wife used up all her time to go to some Ironman in Florida in November :-) I am excited for the trip and for the race, hopefully I can pull a decent performance out of myself. My bike...I do love my new bike. I threw the race wheels on a few days ago and it just looks sweet. So even if I don't go fast, at least I'll look like I did.

I also did some metabolic testing a few weeks ago. I found out that my VO2 max is 59, which is apparently very good. I also did lactate threshold testing, for which I have not received results yet. I am going to check on that. All in all, it was a valuable experience and I am glad I did it. It will be a useful training tool once I finally get the numbers. On this same trip I also met with my coach and completed another power/weight test. I saw a 10% increase in my average watts over a 6 minute all out effort, which coach said was amazing, so both of us must be doing something right. After the test, I got to do a beautiful ride following the Liberty Half Iron distance bike course. Very beautiful ride.

My run feels solid, so does my swim. Little worried about the cold water temps in lake Berryessa, but it's the same for us all so I'll have to deal I guess. Anyway...I'll for sure post a race report next week. Wish me luck all, and thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment